Driving in the EU after Brexit - Green Card


Important changes when taking your vehicle outside of the UK from 1st January 2021. 

If you're driving your vehicle in the EU before 31st December 2020 you don't need a Green Card. If you're travelling before 31st December but coming back after 1st January 2021, you'll need a Green Card. 

If you're travelling after 1st January 2021 you'll need a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is a physical document that can be presented to law enforcement officers when needed, and proves that you have the minimum level of cover legally required. It's a physical document and cannot be issued in an electronic format.

Do I need a Green Card?
From 1st January 2021, if you're travelling to Europe (including Ireland) you'll need a Green Card.

I need a Green Card, what do I do and what happens next?
Green Card requests can be made by contacting our customer service teams or speaking to us through the live chat functionality. Please ensure you allow four weeks for us to process this request.

It's important to note that some of the requirements in this article might change, depending on what terms are decided when the UK leaves the EU. You can view official Brexit updates at GOV.UK.

This page was last updated on 11th December 2020.



Contact Us

New Customers

0330 343 8723

Existing Customers

0330 343 8724

Opening Times:

9.00am - 6.00pm Monday to Friday

9.00am - 1.00pm - Saturday

Follow Us

facebook-icon Facebook


Entire Cover is a trading style of Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Ltd. Registered Office Address: Trafalgar House, 110 Manchester Road, Altrincham, WA14 1NU. Registered in England and Wales 2600841. Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA registered number 307243.

Terms of Business  •  Privacy Policy •  Contact Us •  About Us •  FAQs •  Modern Slavery Statement